Monday, September 25, 2006

Howard College Estates

Living in South East Lake has been, well..., an adventure. We have been through some dark times, and have had some enjoyable times. As of late, our neighborhood has been oppressed by a few people that have no respect for life or other peoples properties or quality of life.
I've had to ask myself, what makes these folks so unhappy, that they feel they must act out their displeasure with life? We can attribute it to lack of guidance from a parent or guardian, peer pressure, drugs and even a lack of involvment by local church groups.
Perhaps we have become overwhelmed with the big picture and have not focused on the very root. By this, I mean, "what can I do?" I've had to ask myself this question, and I have decided that since my education was in "educating", that I would offer my help to the good folks at Ruffner Mountain Park. Kathy, the director, has been looking at some after school ideas for young people. Something to keep them occupied, while educating them as well as keeping them out of trouble. Perhaps I can help with this endeavor. I've also commited to my church. Again offering my assistance in teaching the children.
I know that neither of these jobs are very glamorous, and the rewards are not financial. But perhaps, I can offer some little tidbit of information to a child or teen that would encourage them to be a better person, and therefore a better citizen.
Some of the folks that are causing the problems in our neighborhood now, will be more difficult to reach, if not impossible. We can only use our newly implemented watch group, along with police and other city officials to keep the damage at a minimal. Even at that we may save a life that will be a productive citizen if given the opportunity.
It was very humbling, and exciting, to meet the very bright and educated folks in our watch group. We all have much to offer the citizens of this area. It would be great to see all of your talents poured back into the neighborhood. I believe I can make a difference on my street. I believe we can make a difference in our city!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home